Wood carving starters would find this set quite useful. The set features 15 pieces of wood carving chisels and three files. It is basically what every carver would want in their arsenal of tools. The chisels come in a number of shapes and sizes giving you a variety to choose from among different applications. Most of all, the set comes with a great carrying case that not only keeps your tools organized, but also offers you a convenient way to transport them.
Table of Contents
- A variety of shapes and sizes for diverse applications.
- Comes with a useful carrying case
- Wooden handles
- 15 chisels
- 3 files
- High-quality stainless steel
- Weighs 3.2 pounds
- A wide variety tools for the novices.
- The carrying bag keeps everything organized
- The price of tools is favorable.
- Easy to use. You don’t require any guidance as a novice, and so they offer an excellent starting point.
- You can use the three files included in the set to sharpen all tools. In other words, these files come in handy not only for your 15 chisels included in the tools set but also for others.
- Some reviewers have lamented about the quality of the tools and especially the edges. Some of the tools have warped and chipped edges. Some buyers had to level the edges and grind before using them.
Solution of Cons
- Sharpening is always the best option if a particular tool is too blunt
- If you find that quality is too low, you can consider opting for other tools. Don’t let the poor quality of the tools dampen your spirit.
If you find that the edges are warped or chipped, it is a good idea to use your file to straighten them and make them sharp. Bent edges can cause an accidental cut.
Use the tools in the right manner. Wrong use is a prerequisite to an accident. If you are unsure of which device is used where to consult a professional. There is nothing wrong with seeking help.
Always opt for the best quality when buying your tools. Wood carving is an intensive exercise, and you should have good quality tools. This will save you time and resources and keep you safe. You can’t have a device that keeps chipping with every use. It is advisable to take advantage of a glove
Things To Consider Before Buying
One of the things that you need to look out for before deciding on a purchase is quality. Check that every tool is in good condition. Make sure that there are no instances of chipping of the tools. Do not compromise on the quality. Chisels are best used in chip carving. Essentially, in chip carving, you chip away at sections of the canvas with a chisel and a hammer. Therefore if the tool is brittle, it will break gradually until you can no longer use it.
As a novice, you may not know the difference between whittling and chip carving. If you are after chip carving, then this set of chisels and files will do you good. Whittling involves making more angular shapes on the canvas. Whittling is more of a carving knife kind of a job.
Make sure that all the 18 tools are included in the set. This will save you considerable time running up and down trying to replace the missing pieces.
You also need to make sure that you are getting what you need. Basically, this set is for newbies in the art of carving. Accomplished wood carvers may need more specialized pieces. Furthermore, consider you interest before you pick a particular set. For example, if you are more into relief carving, then you may want to consider going for more tools in addition to this 18 tools set.
A set of 18 tools may be all you need to get started in wood carving. The files provide you with the ability to sharpen your tools to your liking. However, you need to be wary of chipping and warping of blades. Check well what you are getting, and you will not live to regret it. Remember that the choice of tools you make will have a significant impact on both the difficulty of your project, as well as, your safety.